There are several advantages to doing the interview in the studio.
1. Your audio quality will be much better. You will now sound as good as the host.
2. You don’t have to worry about being disconnected.
3. You can see your host and pick up on all of his/her non-verbal signs of communication.
4. Your smile, your pizzazz and your charm will come through more to the host and producer in-person.
5. You’ll get more airtime, usually. It seems embarrassing to throw you out after only 5 minutes.
6. It will be much harder for your host to be confrontational or ask nasty questions if you are sitting a few feet away. (This applies to TV interviews as well.) No matter how hard-bitten a journalist may be, it’s simply harder to be antagonistic to someone sitting across from you versus someone who is a safe distance away and the only connection is a phone line.
7. Relationships will develop better at the studio and in-person visits make it easier for you to leave behind giveaways such as books, t-shirts or any other promotional items you may have.